Tuesday, August 7, 2012

New Plan

After some very serious consideration, I have decided that it's probably way smarter for me to do this slowly.  While I thought I had a flexible enough schedule to try 6 naps every 4 hours, it turns out that it's going to be a bit more of a logistical challenge than I considered.  So, instead of the Uberman schedule that Chris is going to be sticking to, I am going to be trying the Everyman cycle.

What's the Everyman cycle?  It's another form of polyphasic sleep, just less intense.  I will be sleeping a total of 4 hours a day instead of only 2.  Everyman polyphasic sleep involves a cycle of core sleep that lasts anywhere from 1.5-3 hours depending on how many naps you want to throw in.  The greater the amount of core sleep, the less naps you need.  In my case, I will be experimenting with 3 hours of core sleep with three 20-25 minute naps incorporated into my day.  To me, this sounds like it will be a bit of an easier adjustment since I'll be getting the essential 90-minute cycle in my core sleep.  The "goal" is still the same: to get the body to fall into REM sleep sooner.  Steve Pavlina entertained the idea of easing into a full uberman cycle after he already started, hypothesizing that it might have been easier to slowly reduce long periods of sleep by adding more naps or by simply cutting back on core sleep.

The point is that I feel like this will be a much more manageable adaptation period for me, which I feel will make it a bit easier for me to take on a full uberman schedule.

I have decided that my core sleep will be from 1am-4am, nap 1 will be at 9:30am, nap 2 will be at 3:30pm, and nap 3 will be at 8:30pm.  I feel that from there, I will ultimately be able to add more naps and reduce my core sleep.

That's the plan.  And it starts tonight :D

No comments:

Post a Comment